Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Long Time No Post...."

Well I'm just getting a moment to post since we got to WI for Aaron's HBOT treatments. Before we got here last weekend, I was working a full-time schedule which made it impossible to post but we are at the hotel and finally settled until we leave in a couple weeks.

So far Aaron has had 14 dives. Four were with the hood and 10 mild dives. We started with mild room air since he had a history of seizures. After his first day with the hood, he had a petit mal seizure the next morning. Very scary...I called his neurologist and the doctor here at the clinic. The clinic doctor had him take off the next day and this neuro back home increased his Keppra from .4 ml 2x/day to 1 ml 2x/day.

I knew that HBOT could temporarily increase seizure activity but I'm not sure if this is the case. Aaron has not had an increase in his seizure meds since he was first diagnosed with them at two months and about 6 lbs. The nurse practitioner suggested increasing his meds when he was about 6 months old but I didn't feel comfortable with that since he had not had any seizures. I didn't just want to drug my baby out of protocol. His neuro agreed so we decided not to increase his dosage until he had more seizure activity. Now he is almost 17 months old and about 19 lbs. I don't know. It could have been the HBOT or he may have just outgrown his meds which was a low dose even at 6 lbs. Anyway, he just had his 2nd set of hood dives today so we will see. Say a little prayer......

No comments:

Post a Comment